Sunday, February 9, 2014

Don't worry about the details...

I have a hard time being myself. The person who I was meant to be. The person who lives inside of the person who I am. I'm a rule follower. I like to research the 'correct' way to do something before I do it. I hate this part of my personality. Yeah, yeah, I know that it makes me who I am but it also stifles my creative side in a BIG way! So when I decided to become an author, I momentarily got caught up in the 'details'. How many words should I write? How many chapters should I have? Should I put my acknowledgments at the front of the book or the back of the book? Should I edit as I go or wait until I finish the book? I drove myself crazy with these kinds of thoughts (well, actually, these EXACT thoughts)for a week after I started writing. And you know what I discovered?

It doesn't matter.

The only right way to write a book is the way that it comes naturally to you. I'm not suggesting that you overlook good grammar and spelling, or completely disregard punctuation. I'm saying that the way that you write is uniquely yours. You may find other authors who write the same way that you do. I guarantee that you will find plenty who don't. My advice? Listen, learn a thing or two, and then do it your own way. Because that is the only way that it is truly your story.

Happy writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment