Saturday, September 16, 2017

Why writing is more than writing...

I had a bad day yesterday on the business-front.  Actually, it was the culmination of several bad days over the past few weeks.  Last night's disappointment was the final straw that put me over the edge, leaving me to wonder for the katrillionth time why I've willingly chosen this business.  It wasn't a life-long ambition of mine to become an author; in fact, it's fairly recent.  But I love creating stories, and I bought in to the theory that if you love what you do, the rest will come.  Yeah, right!

It's not about the writing.  For a change, my writing is going extremely well.  I LOVE my current WIP, and I'm eager to start on the (currently) six other titles waiting in the wings.  No, this is about the other stuff; the stuff indie authors have to deal with.  Yes, yes; I know.  I'm the one always saying that authors are authors and we shouldn't differentiate.  I wholeheartedly believe that's true - when it comes to our books.  But there is a difference on the business side, and that's where I'm struggling.

Now, this isn't a bitch session about the indie scene (though a few choice words crossed my lips last night).  And as mentioned above, I chose to become indie.  I could do what thousands of other authors have done and submit my works to publishing houses on the hopes they'll like my work enough to represent me.  I understand that's an option.  To be honest, I like the autonomy of being indie.  I like choosing my own deadlines - which I rarely meet - and picking the title, and designing the covers.  Plus, having representation from a publisher doesn't guarantee best-sellerdom.  There are hundreds (if not more) of talented authors out there, backed by publishing houses, who've never seen a best-seller's list.

No, this is about the stuff I'm not good at, and I'm brave enough to say I'm not good at it.  Making smart decisions.  Oh, okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's how I feel in the moment.  I look around at my peers (I'm not comparing myself to them.  Honest!) and I take note of what they're accomplishing, and, more importantly, how they're accomplishing it, and I try the same tactic.  And it fails.  So that leaves me wondering, is it me?  Am I the common denominator?  Am I just not cut out for this? Or is it the aged-old adage - one I've quoted myself from time to time - that we all walk different paths and their journey isn't mine?

Trouble is, even when I change paths, they converge to the same one I've been traveling my entire life.  The path of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.  Of making the wrong choices.  Of losing faith in my decisions.  I thought growing older meant growing wiser.  Maybe it means being wise enough to know when to quit.

Okay, this is turning into a pity party post, and that's not what I'm about.  I'll find a way - somehow - though the specifics escape me at the moment.  Nothing worthwhile is easy, right?

If there's one thing I don't doubt, it's the support of my fellow indies.  We all face these why-in-the-hell-am-I-putting-myself-through-this moments and it's the faith and encouragement from those who have been there that gets us through.  And, for that, I'm eternally grateful.  No one gets this like other indies!!

So, where now?  I wish I knew.  As my husband tells me, "keep writing".  And I will.  I love it too much to quit.  I guess I'll figure the rest out as I go along, and maybe, just maybe, one of these days the sky will open up in front of me and I'll see I'm where I was meant to be all along.

Or maybe not...

10 comments:

  1. I know you already know this, the struggle is real for most of us Indie authors. And to quote a line in a song, "it doesn't matter how we get there, it's the climb." Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm technically not an indie author, but small house publisher authors face a lot of the same things--and trust me on this when I say that I ask myself a lot of the same things you do--Why the hell am I doing this? Do I even have the slightest clue what I'm doing? Add in the paralysis of "OMG, what if I'm making the wrong decision? I'll have signed away my book for five years." I can only echo your husband's advice--KEEP WRITING. Don't stop. Don't listen to that voice of disquiet telling you you're not good enough, you've made a huge mistake, and you don't know what you're doing or even why you're doing it. You are a writer. Period. End of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sorry you're facing similar marketing issues.

      Delete
  3. Some of the most famous of Authors aren't successful until their eight or tenth release. And some Authors have constant writers block, with other Authors having minimal or no followers.
    You my friend have a zillion stories that you've vividly brought to life ... you have a beautiful following ... and you've had successes.

    Don't lose sight of what you have as opposed to what you don't.

    You're a magnificent WRITER so just keep WRITING!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. It's not so much about success as it is about making decisions - what I think are good decisions - and having them turn out sour. I know it's inevitable, not everything we touch turns to gold, but I've had a stack of bad ones lately, and it's getting me down.

      I love you, and love that you always have my back! Thank you, my dear, beautiful Marie <3

      Delete
  4. I'm not an Indie author, but after three different publisher experiences, I can feel your pain. I wanted to have a traditional publisher because I thought it woukd open more doors for me. It is a rollercoaster profession. Hugs and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're experiencing similar bumps in the road. It's not an easy profession, for sure, but it's the support of other authors, like yourself, that see me through my moments of doubt. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. You and I are "on the same page." I've been writing novels for four decades. I had a literary agent once and a mid-sized publisher interested in my first two novels. I'd get so close...and then everything would fall through. After I retired from my "paying job," I decided to self-publish some of my books. I had stories I wanted to share, and although I expected some people would like my books and some wouldn't, I had no idea how cruel readers could be. That hurt me more than anything. Now, I'm afraid to advertise my books. Not to mention, the market is inundated, and Amazon has done its best to kill indies via Kindle Unlimited and other assorted punishments. So, I've given up on finding a fan base--even a small one--but I will continue to do what I've always done: Write for the sheer joy of it. You do the same, Kristine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This! I'm sorry to hear that you 'get it' because I don't want anyone to have to endure the disappointments and second-guessing I've had to lately. I understand disappointment is part of life, but it can take a toll, especially when you're putting forth such effort. I'm also sorry to hear that you've given up on finding your fan base, because though I believe some are harder to find than others, I do think yours is out there.

      I won't stop writing; for once, that is the only part of the equation that's going well, but I'm going to be reassessing some things in my life on the business front. Not sure where I'll end up, but then again, none of us know that for sure, do we?

      Lots of love to you, Linda <3

      Delete