Sunday, September 23, 2018

Taking it for granted...

I don't view myself as someone who's technologically-dependant.  Oh, sure; I never leave home without my smartphone - an iPhone 5s with a measly 12gb of memory - but it still rings and makes calls and connects to the internet when I need it to, so why upgrade?  And I have my original iPad - the one that only works with a WiFi connection, and a second generation Kindle.  Do you see a theme?

So, I had no intention of replacing my functioning (albeit a bit slowly, but, hey, I'm no spring chicken either) 8-year-old desktop anytime soon.  Apparently, Windows 10 had a different idea.  No longer able to support the updates that continuously buffetted her systems, last Sunday my Gateway decided she'd had enough and cloaked herself in the Blue Screen of Death.  No amount of cajoling, begging, or pleading on my part could convince her to change her mind, so off to the tech hospital she went.  It was touch-and-go for a few days, my hopes rising mid-week only to be dashed on Thursday by news that the old girl just couldn't handle the demands being placed on her.  Allowing her to retire gracefully seemed the right thing to do - she had, after all, been a faithful companion for well over her projected lifespan - and a shiny new Dell Inspiron was purchased to take her place.

Which brings me to the title of this post.  I take for granted that I can work whenever the mood hits and being unable to walk into my office and sit at my computer this past week has been stressful, to say the least.  Those seven days felt more like seven months, and it occurred to me that I'm as plugged-in as the rest of society.  Bringing home my new desktop last night filled me with a sense of contentment, and while I'm not enjoying the process of reinstalling 1439 fonts one file at a time, it felt great to wake up this morning and plop myself down in my well-worn chair and power up my shiny, new contraption.  Still, I think I'll wait awhile before I get a new phone.  Don't want to overload my circuits with too much new techy stuff to learn. 

Besides, these font files are keeping me busy... 


No comments:

Post a Comment