Monday, January 15, 2018

On writing authentically...

I've read several posts and articles lately suggesting that authors should be 'writing for the reader' and letting reader expectations dictate the plot of the story.  Now, I don't discount the importance of keeping readers happy.  Without them, our books would be nothing more than words on a page.  What I disagree with is the notion that authors have a responsibility to pen their stories following trope-specific guidelines, and never veer from the script.  How boring!

The way I look at it, I owe my readers an engaging, entertaining story; one that elicits feelings of joy and doubt and suspense and love (in the case of my romances).  But I also owe them something else.  Honesty.  They deserve to know that the words they're reading came from the depths of my soul, not from some how-to manual on writing the perfect book.

It's okay to shake things up, take a chance, go in a different direction with your manuscript.  Will some readers hate it?  Possibly, but let's be honest.  Does every single reader out there love what you write anyway?  Judging by the 1- and 2-star reviews on some of my books, that would be a HELL NO!!  Do you run the risk of alienating readers by writing authentically?  Of course, but see my first question.  It's impossible to make all of the people happy all of the time, so take risks, take a chance, write in a new direction rather than writing to the market.

Now, before the comments start rolling in that I'm trashing other authors, let me be clear - I'm not.  I believe, and have always believed, that each writer should create the storiy that speaks to them.  It's not my place to tell anyone what words they should or shouldn't send out into the universe.  Lord knows, I don't let anyone tell me what mine should be.  But I hate seeing new authors who've yet to publish ask for advice and be told "you should be writing X, Y, and Z.  That's what readers expect."  How about giving readers something they don't expect?  Some twist that only you can devise because it's part of who you are.  Stop trying to make your books be exactly like all the others out there and rather let the words flow through your soul to the paper (or keyboard, or dictation device.  You get my point.)  Be you.

One thing I've never been successful at is conforming to - well - anything.  My historical western romances aren't historical enough.  My contemporary romances are neither sweet nor erotic.  None of my books fall squarely into a specific genre, and while that presents a challenge finding readers, I'm satisfied with the stories I've told.  They are exactly what they're supposed to be.  Mine.

Stop worrying about creating the story readers expect.  Instead, give them a story that they'll love because it came authentically from you.  Be bold with your words.  Be confidant that what you write will find an audience.  Love your words because they truly are a reflection of you.

Now, go write that book!




No comments:

Post a Comment