Friday, January 5, 2018

Redefining the term 'blue-haired old lady'...

There was a time in society, in my lifetime, as a matter of fact, when it was unheard of for a woman over the age of 50 to dye her hair electric blue.  Come to think of it, it wasn't that acceptable for women under the age of 50, either.  I'm so glad those days are over!  One of the things I enjoy about growing older is how the norms have changed - for the better, in most cases.  But even if society (or my peers) have a problem with it, I don't really give a damn, because I've decided life's too short not to try new things.

I've wanted to dye my hair blue for a few years, but I refrained.  One reason was due to my upbringing. (I can't imagine either of my grandmothers sporting a non-conventional 'do, although I think they both would've rocked the look!)  The other was how I viewed myself as an adult.  I told myself it was silly; dyeing my hair one of the colors of the rainbow was something teenagers do, not mature women.  But you know what?  I'm still going to be 50 if my hair is blue or brown or silver or if I'm bald, so what in the hell am I waiting for?

As you can see by the pic, I was conservative with my dyeing endeavor.  The color is subtle.  There are two reasons for this.  One, I didn't want to do too much until I could see what it would look like.  And, two, I'm too lazy to bleach my hair first.  The dye would've shown up a lot brighter if I'd followed that step.

It's okay, though.  I'm happy with it, and, next time (yes, there will be a next time) I'll make the effort to strip some of my natural color from my hair before beginning the dyeing process.  Or wait for more silver to grow in.  Either way works for me.

In the meantime, I like my new look.  It makes me feel rebellious!  I know, I know, it doesn't take much. lol.  Hey, at least it's not permanent like a tattoo!

So, which term are you going to redefine in 2018?  Time's not going backwards, you know.  We're all getting older, whether we want to admit it or not.  Might as well try something you've always wanted to do.  It's okay to start small.  You can't get much smaller than a half dozen, 1/2 inch blue streaks in your hair.

Maybe I'll go with purple next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment