Wednesday, October 17, 2018

In general, I'm a quiet person...

...it's fine.  I'll wait while you enjoy the humor of that statement.  Better now?  Stop laughing?  Catch your breath?

As I was saying -

I'm generally a quiet person.  By that I mean, I'm more comfortable in solitary surroundings than I am in a group setting.  I have little desire to socialize on a regular basis (though author events are SO MUCH FUN!), but to just hang out with people on a monthly, weekly, or - gulp - daily basis...nope, not for me.

This is nothing new.  As a kid, I didn't have many friends and spent most of my high school years alone in my room listening to records.  I also read a lot (go figure) and took pictures of clouds.  How I didn't end up becoming a meteorologist, I'll never know.  Anyway, as I said, this trait of keeping to myself is nothing new, and I'm okay with it -- for the most part.  But, here's where it gets tricky...

Writing is a solitary endeavor.  Perfect for my personality type.  I spend my days (and, sometimes, nights) playing with my imaginary friends, and since I make them up, they have to like me.  It's the rule.  Promoting, however, is anything but a solitary endeavor.  The entire point of it is to stand up and get everyone's attention and say, "Look at me!  Look what I did!  I wrote a book (or a song or painted a picture or created a piece of jewelry or...").  You get my drift.   And, quite honestly, that's the part I suck at!

I don't mind sharing my new releases; in fact, I usually can't share them fast enough.  But once that book is out there, it's difficult for me to keep talking about it.  And, that's a bad thing, because, without the constant hype, my name and the titles of my stories quickly fade from peoples' minds.  There are soooo many books out there and so many being released each day that readers have a hard time keeping up with the ones they see, much less those that aren't promoted.  Hence my issue...

You might have noticed that I don't post on social media or my blog with any regularity.  The main reason for this is that I don't have a lot to say.  Nothing that would be of any interest to anyone - at least, in my opinion.  So, to only promote my books, especially the older titles, when I do get on social media seems self-centered and braggy, neither of which exist in my bag of personality traits.  Oh, I have no problem promoting other authors' books; in fact, I love doing it.  It's my own that trip me up.

However, realization is the first step towards change, right?  And, I know I have to start promoting my own books even without having a new release.  No better place to start than here.  So, without further ado, here are the books I've written and published to date, and, might I add, I'm proud of all of them.


  

There you have it.  These are my books.  If you're interested in learning more about them, please visit my website.  The promotional part of this blog post is now over.  You may return to your regularly scheduled reading.

Hmmm...maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this...


2 comments:

  1. You should share your books everywhere ... you have a lot to be proud of with your creations!

    ReplyDelete